Volunteer for a week that will change your life
Our largest need is for 1:1 volunteers who are willing to work as a duo with an amazing camper for the week. You will help a camper with all of their activities of daily life as well as with their camp activities. In return, they will help you gain a friend as well as a week of knowledge and experience.
A week of camp will offer you the opportunity to earn over 100 direct contact/volunteer hours.
Activities of daily living you will help with: showers, dressing, transfers, eating, brief changes, catheterization setup, bowel program cleanup, leg bag emptying
Volunteers are not responsible for medical care unless you are a medical professional, but you will be responsible for helping with supply setup for a camper who does care independently or may need to help the camp nurse with things such as getting a camper ready or doing cleanup after a procedure.
Camp activities you may help with: Bellyaking, canoeing, swimming, alpine tower climbing or ziplining, adapted dance, adapted self defense, water volleyball, adapted sports, board games, bonfires, outdoor cooking, archery, and more! (activities subject to change)
We highly recommend this opportunity for those who are in medical professions or pursuing medical professions. However, you will have a day of intense training before camp so if you are up for a challenge and an amazing week, come join us!!
What to Expect:
- You will be caring for a camper all week; they will (and should) be at arm’s length from you at all times unless you are on a break
- You will have long days (early mornings/late nights)
- You will most likely walk about 18,000+ steps a day and be pushing wheelchairs up and down hills
- You will be helping with ALL aspects of care
- You will have a week to remember–just come prepared!
Student volunteers who are needed:
- Med or Pre-med
- Respiratory therapy
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Recreational therapy
Professionals who are needed:
- MDs or DOs
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Must pay $25 registration fee (non-refundable)
- Must submit background check (cost varies per state)
- Must be in good physical health
What is covered while I am at camp:
- Meals and lodging for the week
- 2 tshirts
- Lots of coffee!!
All volunteers will be assigned to a camper unless they are a cabin nurse.
Other things to note:
- No alcohol, tobacco, or marijuana are allowed on the campus. Also, no peanut products.
- Closed toed shoes (tennis shoes or Keens) must be worn at all times
- Cell phone service is very limited at camp; all phones must be on airplane mode while at camp. FaceTime and Skype are not permitted while at camp.
- Activities will happen rain or shine while at camp so bring appropriate clothing/supplies
Where camp is located:
Bradford Woods, 5040 State Rd 67 N, Martinsville, Indiana (about 20 minutes south of Indianapolis)
Why do people choose to volunteer at Camp PossAbility?
Volunteer Registration . . .
All volunteers are required to pay $25 at registration. There will be no refunds. This helps a little bit with food and lodging, but mostly just helps with all of the coffee, lost toothbrushes, and deodorant we have to run for!
Volunteers are also responsible for running their own background check (cost varies according to state and typically ranges from $15 to $90). You will be sent a link to complete when you register.
2019 CHANGE: We no longer accept outside background checks/copies of background checks.
Background checks are due by July 1.
Your food and lodging will be covered for the week.
Our camp relies on its volunteers and we need and want YOU to be there!
Have questions about volunteering? Please contact Lauren at firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer applications are due by June 1, 2019 (but will be accepted until all volunteer positions are filled).
Volunteers arrive at camp on July 27, 2019, at 1 p.m. for training, and campers arrive the following day.
Your time at Camp PossAbility will be a treasured memory for years to come!! Don’t miss out!