What makes this camp different from others?
SFor Young Adults
Camp PossAbility will target the young adult population which is underserved. Most similar camps serve children ages 7-17 with termination of attendance after child turns 18 or 21. This camp specifically serves those who are ages 18 to 35.
Adapted for Cognitive High Functioning
In our research, we have not found any completely adapted camps for cognitively high functioning young adults with physical disabilities in the nation. From many young adults we’ve surveyed, we’ve found that this is actually a big need. Our campers are those who are going to college, getting jobs, and/or living semi-independently or independently.
Many camps target serving those with cognitive disabilities but are not equipped to serve the population of young adults who are physically disabled. Other camps that target adults with physical disabilities include those with severe cognitive disabilities, limiting what the high functioning campers are able to do while at camp.
Faith Based Options
Camp PossAbility includes optional Bible studies and inspirational speakers on occasional days. Our goal is to encourage mind, body, and spirit. Similar things are done at YMCA camps. No one will be excluded from attending Camp on the basis of sex, race, or religious background, and no one will be forced to participate. Camp PossAbility is not affiliated with any religious organization or denomination.
Done by Camp PossAbility trained volunteers with additions by Bradford Woods staff
Camp PossAbility follows the 1:1 volunteer/camper ratio model. Each volunteer will help campers with their activities of daily life, share a cabin with other volunteers and campers, and enjoy camp and life together.
Camp PossAbility will have scheduled events and meals but will also have free time for camper-choice events. Campers will be expected to stay with their 1:1 volunteer at all times during camp.
All activities subject to change and may vary each year but may include: alpine tower, ziplining, swimming, canoeing, Bellyaking, adapted sports, board games, bonfires, adapted cycling, and more.
The majority of our campers need medical care. For that reason, we have 4-6 nurses on site as well as 2 doctors. Nurses will do all procedures from tube feeds to catheterizations to bowel programs to daily skin checks.
Safety is a huge priority at Camp PossAbility which is why we have the “3 person rule” for every activity, including any personal care needs you need help with (showering, toileting, procedures, etc). This ensures that there is always help when needed and that you have an extra person there for safety. This is enforced so please be aware of this before you arrive!
Meet some campers from Camp PossAbility
Daily Schedule (subject to change):
- 6:00 to 7:00—Wake-up
- 7:00 to 7:30–Stroll to breakfast
- 7:30 to 8:30–Breakfast
- 9:00 to 11:30–Activity #1
- 11:30 to 12:30—Lunch
- 12:30 to 2:00—Rest Time/optional activity
- 2:30 to 4:00—Activity #2
- 4:30 to 6:00—Activity #3
- 6:30 to 7:30—Dinner
- 7:30 to 9:00—Evening activity (all cabins)
- 9:00 to 10:30—nightly procedures/bedtime prep
- 10:30—Campers in bed
- 11:00–Volunteers in bed
- Dates: July 28 at 2 p.m. to August 2, 2019 at 10 a.m.
- Registration Begins: November 1, 2018
- Registration Deadline: July 1, 2019
- What you Pay: $450 (due at registration); includes meals, activities, and lodging; this is NON-REFUNDABLE after you are accepted to Camp PossAbility.
- What we pay for you to attend camp: Approximately $2100 per camper. We actually raise the additional 75% of your camp fees with grants, scholarships, and donations so we encourage everyone to help raise additional funding when possible!
Have any questions? Please contact Lauren @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Wonder if you qualify for a week of fun?
- Fit in the age bracket of 18 to 35?
- Have a physical disability that requires you to use a wheelchair?
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent? (Certificate of completion will not be accepted).
- Enjoy fun, loud, noisy group environments where you will be stretched to try new things and make friendships that will last a lifetime?
Answered “yes” to all of these?
If so, you are a GREAT candidate for Camp PossAbility!
Ready to go to camp?
Camp Downloads and Resources
DO NOT MAIL YOUR FORMS! We have had too many forms get lost in the mail or sent to the wrong place. However, you MUST make sure that each form is filled out correctly or you will not be admitted to camp at registration.
If you would like a review of your forms done BEFORE camp, you can mail them certified (with NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED) before July 20, 2019.
You will also need to include a check to Camp PossAbility for $50 for the review as this takes valuable staff time before camp.